• Verdanza Hotel: Contemporary design with local touches. Features 222 rooms, three restaurants and self-serve business centre. Hotel is committed to responsible business practices – for example, it serves only locally harvested premium coffee and collects rainwater for use in the gardens. Situated steps from the Alambique Beach and close to the Isla Verde tourism district. San Juan.
• W Retreat & Spa – Vieques Island: Features 157 rooms, four food and beverage outlets including miX On The Beach headed by Michelin-rated Alain Ducasse. Other amenities include business centre, meeting facilities, spa, tennis courts and fitness centre. This pet friendly hotel offers welcome gifts for pets and other services including customized pet beds, dog walking and treats.
• Rio Camuy Cave Park: The third largest underground river cave system in the world. West of San Juan.
• Bio-Luminescent Bays: La Parguera, the Island of Vieques and Las Cabezas de San Juan have luminescent waters that glow on dark nights.
• Bacardi Rum Distillery: The largest rum distillery in the world. Free tours. Catano.
• Arecibo Observatory: Home to the world’s largest radar/radio telescope. It is also the base for SETI, the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence. Arecibo.
Puerto Rico Tourism Company• El Yunque Caribbean National Forest: A United Nations World Biosphere Reserve, the forest is the only tropical rainforest managed by the U.S. Forest Service.
• Casals Classical Festival (February), San Juan.
• Three Kings Day (January), throughout Puerto Rico.
• Saborea Culinary Festival (April), Escambrón Beach, San Juan.
• Heineken Jazz Festival (June), San Juan.
• San Juan Bautista Day (June), San Juan.
• World Salsa Congress (July to August), San Juan.
• International Billfish Tournament (August), San Juan.
• Puerto Rico Discovery Day (November), throughout Puerto Rico.
• Old San Juan: More than 500 years old. Features Spanish colonial architecture, museums, promenades, cathedrals, shops and nightlife.
• Culebra and Vieques: Off the east coast of Puerto Rico; both offer rugged countryside, great beaches, snorkelling and diving.
• Ponce: Founded in 1692. Downtown features plaza, lovely fountains and Catedral de Nuestra Senora de la Guadalupe.
• The Guánica Dry Forest Reserve: Designated a United Nations Biosphere, the dry forest serves as a haven for hikers and bikers with 12 well-groomed trails ranging from easy to rugged.
• Mayaguez: Boasts a first-rate zoo, historic theatre and beautiful plaza with shops and restaurants as well as access to remarkable water adventure.
• Coffee Zone: 10 historic coffee plantations in Jayuya, San Sebastian, Ponce, Adjuntas, Las Marías and Lares have been designated a Coffee Zone. Tourists welcomed at the plantations.
• Porta del Sol: Offers nature/adventure, surfing, hiking, caving and family-run inns called paradores as well as mesones gastronomicos serving local cuisine. Two hours west of San Juan.
• Pinones Boardwalk: Local beach area with kiosks serving inexpensive local cuisine, cycling, coastal mangrove forest and lovely beaches. 25 minutes east of San Juan.
• Puerto Rico’s Paradores: Clients can experience Puerto Rico like never before by staying at one of the country’s charming paradores, or country inns. Tucked away from San Juan’s hustle and bustle, the paradores offer the chance to discover the Real Puerto Rico.
Did You Know?
Official Motto: John Is His Name
Official Flower: Puerto Rican Hibiscus
Official Bird: Stripe-headed Tanager
Region: THE ISLANDS
Direct Flights: Air Canada (December-April)
Cruise Lines: Carnival Cruise Lines, Celebrity Cruises, Club Med Cruises, Costa Cruises, Crystal Cruises, First European Cruises, Holland America, Mediterranean Shipping Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Lines, P&O Cruises, Phoenix Reisen, Princess Cruises, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Royal Caribbean International, Royal Olympic Cruises, Sea Cloud Cruises, Seabourn Cruise Line, Cunard, Seadream, Windstar
Sales Tools: Certified Puerto Rico Travel Experts program, on-line travel agent section, San Juan Fun Card.
Info: Puerto Rico Tourism Company