• Brandy Peak Distillery in Brookings: Sun ripened blackberries crafted into artisan liqueur.
• The Meadow in Portland: Scores of salts from all over the world, plus tons of high-end chocolate bars, gourmet bitters and a few nice gifts for food lovers.
• Favorite 5 Country Farms Tours in Willamette Valley: Each has something different – animals, wine, Christmas trees and handmade gifts.
• Winter Elk Viewing Tour: See roaming Rocky Mountain Elk in a horse drawn wagon.
• The Oregon Garden: Comprising 32 hectares with 20 specialty gardens, waterfalls, fountains, quiet ponds, tram tours, summer concert series and the Gordon House – designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Silverton.
• Portland Children’s Museum, World Forestry Center: Museum features a hands-on construction site exhibit; Center allows opportunity to see what it’s like to be a smoke jumper. Portland.
• Four Rivers Cultural Center: Learn about the cultures of pioneers who passed through or settled in Ontario, the first Trail stop in Oregon. Ontario.
• The Museum at Warm Springs: Trace the history and traditions of the Warm Springs, Wasco and Northern Paiute Native American tribes through life-size dioramas and multi-media exhibits. Near Bend.
• The Oregon Coast Aquarium: Indoor galleries showcase coastal habitats while outdoors, seals, sea lions and otters play in rocky pools and birds soar overhead in North America’s largest walk-through sea bird aviary. Newport.
Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum• Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum: Houses the world’s largest wooden flying boat, Howard Hughes’ Spruce Goose, and the world’s fastest aircraft ever built, the SR-71 Blackbird, dozens of authentic space artifacts. Major exhibits include an X-15, a Redstone Rocket, Gemini capsule, Apollo capsule, Saturn rocket, space food and a Titan II SLV missile. McMinnville.
• Oregon Shakespeare Festival (February through October), Ashland.
• Woodburn Tulip Festival (March/April).
• The Rhododendron Festival (May), Florence.
• Portland Rose Festival (June).
• Lincoln City Kite Festival (June).
• Bach Festival (End of June through middle of July), Eugene.
• Waterfront Blues Festival (July), Portland.
• Oregon Festival of American Music (July/August), Eugene.
• Oregon State Fair (late August to early September), Salem.
• Pendleton Round-Up (September).
• Hood River Valley Harvest Fest (October).
• Crater Lake: At 589 metres, it is the deepest lake in the U.S. Southern Oregon.
• Hells Canyon: Located in the Northeastern corner of the state, Hells Canyon, at 2,408 metres, is the deepest river-carved gorge in North America.
• Smith Rock State Park: A world-famous rock climbing area. Also features hiking trails. Terrebonne.
• Willamette Valley: Heart of Oregon’s agriculture country featuring roadside stands and farmers’ markets during spring and summer. Valley’s flat terrain and temperate climate favoured by hikers and cyclists. Also dubbed Oregon’s Wine Country with over 200 wineries.
• Ecola State Park: Views of jagged cliffs, rock formations and rolling surf. Great place to spot whales, especially during their migration in March and December. North of Cannon Beach.
• Distillery Row: Unparalleled concentration of craft distillers. Open to the public every Saturday. Portland.
• Historic Columbia River Highway: Discover the largest concentration of high waterfalls in North America.
• Deepwood Estate: An 1894 Queen Anne Victorian home surrounded by four acres of gardens and nature trails. Salem.
Did You Know?
State Motto: She Flies With Her Own Wings
State Flower: Oregon grape
State Bird: Western Meadowlark
America’s Byways: Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway, Hells Canyon Scenic Byway, Historic Columbia River Highway, McKenzie Pass-Santiam Pass Scenic Byway, Mt. Hood Scenic Byway, Outback Scenic Byway, Pacific Coast Scenic Byway, Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway, Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway, West Cascades Scenic Byway.
Direct Flights: Air Canada, Horizon Air
Cruise Lines: America West Steamboat Company, Cruise West, USA River Cruises
Sales Tools: Travel Oregon Magazine; Travel Oregon e-newsletter
Info: Oregon Tourism Commission